Monday, March 22, 2010

Hospital Gown

About a year ago, I was looking at some newborn pictures on a high school friend’s Facebook page when I noticed that his wife was wearing a super cute hospital gown. I read on and realized that she had sewn it for herself! So, when I got pregnant this time, I decided I wanted to do the same thing.100319 Louisa Theo Fix (59)I looked around a lot of places, but the only pattern I could find (for free) was from Lazy Girl Designs. After using it to make this gown I would highly recommend it. That being said, I did make a few alterations…100319 Louisa Theo Fix (61)Instead of the recommended velcro, I used snap tape on the closures on the sleeves. I also added about 4 inches to the length and sewed a sash (not attached to the gown) to belt around my middle -- just above the baby bump. Also, the pattern says to serge/zigzag stitch the edges and fold them over to finish but I made my own contrasting bias 'tape' and used that instead. I also made the neckline a little deeper as it felt too high -- like it would bug me during labor clutching at my neck. And the original pattern includes a pocket to hold wires for a heart monitor or something but since I knew I wouldn't use that, I didn't make it.100319 Louisa Theo Fix (66)It was plenty big on me so next time I think I’ll move one of the back ties to the side of the gown so I can close it tightly around my middle. I also recommend painting your toenails in a shade to match as that made it extra fun to look down to my feet while I sat around having contractions 5-10 minute apart. ALTHOUGH, in retrospect, I should have waited until after delivery as they placed my sweet baby girl on my belly right after she popped out and the gown got quite messy.100319 Louisa Theo Fix (272)My mom took it home and washed it but I didn’t get a decent picture of it the next day. I think Louisa liked staring at the contrasting pink and white pattern.100319 Louisa Theo Fix (297)I also made this matching headband (same fabric as the trim around the neckline/hem) but I didn’t wear it until we took Little Lou home.

12 comments:

Annie said...

Those are GREAT pictures of you and REALLY GREAT pictures of Louisa!!! What a treat to see that gorgeous eyes-open picture!
I love the polka-dot blanket too!
You look stunning in your gown!
Really nice job!!!
~annie

Laurie said...

Hi, I am Christel Smallman's aunt - she gave me the link to your blog. I LOVE the hospital gown you made! Both you and your baby are adorable! Thanks too for sharing all the great changes you made to the pattern. My daughter is pregnant with her 1st - I might have to make her one of these!
I invite you to visit my blog at http://sewnso.blogspot.com

Laurie

Michelle said...

I'm guessing it was Dave's wife, right? I saw/read the same thing in his facebook album. Congratulations on your precious baby girl, and I love all the skills you have to make such wonderful things!

Scary Mommy said...

EEEEEKKKKKK!!!!! You are the cutest things ever!!! Congratulations!!! How are you? How is she? How is the big brother? We MUST catch up!!!

jsadams03 said...

Just wonderful!

Jennifer Dawn said...

Great sewing project!

Sara said...

Your baby is darling! Love the gown - I will def. have to do this next time around! :)

Kelli Litza said...

Hi! I love your gown and I am planning on making one for myself. I'm counting down the days until I'll be wearing it (currently 28!) and I had a quick question. When you said you used "snap tape" can you tell me what kind and where you got it? I'm planning on making all the same changes as you did. :)

Mrs. Fix said...

Kelli -- It's been some time since I sewed this -- the baby girl in the pictures turns THREE next month! -- so I am not sure exactly what kind of snap tape I used but I know I got it at Joann's and that the snaps were about 2-3 inches apart. Congratulations on your bundle on the way!

Kelli Litza said...

Thanks! I picked some up today and will be sewing my gown soon. :) My son turns 3 in May. Crazy how time flies!

Jen said...

I'm due in October, can't wait to make one! Probably two for each day, and since they might put the baby right on me like you said. Thanks for sharing!

Paula M said...

I think you should make these and sell them ... I would be your first order - my niece is expecting, this would be a fantastic shower gift ;)