Saturday, January 2, 2010

Twelve Resolutions for Twenty-Ten (12 for 2010)

WARNING! AGAIN, THIS IS A LONG WORDY POST! I have a feeling they are going to be this way in 2010. Sorry! I'll try and break things up with pictures!
Anyway, have you ever read Proverbs 31? Allow me to quote:
An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels.
The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain.
She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life.
She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands.
She is like the ships of the merchant; she brings her food from afar.
She rises while it is still night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens.
She considers a field and buys it; with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.
She perceives that her merchandise is profitable. Her lamp does not go out at night.
She puts her hands to the distaff, and her hands hold the spindle.
She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy.
She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household are clothed in scarlet.
She makes bed coverings for herself; her clothing is fine linen and purple.
Her husband is known in the gates when he sits among the elders of the land.
She makes linen garments and sells them; she delivers sashes to the merchant.
Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come.
She opens her mouth with wisdom and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her.
"Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
Give her the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.
I know that there is debate on this passage. Is the writer describing a real woman or personifying wisdom or just describing a wise woman/person or describing what a man should look for in a woman? I'm not here to debate any of that. But I recently read this passage and thought of how little it describes selfish me.I would love to become more like the woman in this passage. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You can stop laughing now. I know I'll never be this diligent/motivated. But there is a desire somewhere deep down in side of me to 'work with willing hands' in devotion to my husband, children and household. As I said in my last post, I feel that it's time to get my priorities straight and serve others.
And again, the reason why I want to serve others is to bring glory to the Lord. I know that He has given me the roles of wife, mother and household manager and I want to do them to the best of my ability in gratitude for this great life He has given me.
Thus, my New Years Resolution for 2010... I have decided to meditate on this passage and apply it (in an broad/allegorical way) to my life. Instead of breaking down my goal into 25 chunks (as I've done for the past 5 years or so), I will be breaking it down into 12 goals for the 12 months of the year. Each month will have a theme verse from this passage and a handful of specific ways I plan to live out this goal.
For example, January's theme verse is Proverbs 31: 14 She is like the ships of the merchant; she brings food from afar. Thus, this month will be devoted to using food wisely to provide for our family... exploring the world of coupon clipping, organizing the pantry, meal planning, etc.
Now that doesn't mean that at the end of January I'm going to stop making meals for my family and move on to something different. Hopefully by taking a month to focus on a specific goal and set up habits in that area of my life, I will be able to keep it up and proceed to a new area.
Oh man, doesn't it sound exhausting? I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew. But I'm excited to at least spend time thinking about something besides myself and with the Lords help I hope to make some changes. Thanks again for your prayers and support. Check back soon for a more flushed out description of January's goal.

3 comments:

Erin said...

This is a wonderful way to think of the new year! I too could be more like the idealized woman in the passage, though I am doing my best to steer myself in that direction, gently.

Bethany said...

Since I was in your wedding and technically one of your "maidens", can I expect some portions of food in February?

Lynn said...

You take resolution making to a whole new level. I loved reading both the posts you've done so far about your 12 in 2010. I can't wait to read more of your ideas and perhaps even change a few of my own habits.