Saturday, November 21, 2009

NYR #20, First Quilt for First Girl

It's done. My very first quilt.
For my very first girl. It actually didn't take me too long to complete as it's made up of forty-nine simple squares. My neighbor Misty and I decided to enter AllPeopleQuilt.com's Quarterly Challenge. We each made a quilt and worked together and now we will enter it into the contest.
And by "worked together" I mean that Misty gave me a ton of help and I watched her work on hers too. I am SO glad that I worked on my first quilt with Misty. She is a real quilting pro and I greatly benefited from all her good tips - and her fabulous sewing machine!
And yes, the quilt is huge. Far too big for a crib quilt, but in the meantime perhaps I can use it for a floor mat for Fetus Fix #2 to play on?
It was so fun to pick out a bunch of pink fabrics for this quilt. The three pictured above were left over from this outfit, this dress, and this dress that I made for Addy.
I also made three squares from Fix's old pink checked shirt.
The back is made of just two big pieces of this pink fabric with tiny polka dots. Most of the quilt was sewn with a machine, but I hand stitched the binding to give it a more polished look.
Anyway, I love it and I can't wait to give it to Fetus Fix #2 when she arrives... or perhaps a few years after she arrives.

6 comments:

Christel said...

Beautiful!

I have wonderful childhood memories of laying a quilt made for me and dancing around on it like a stage.

Susanna said...

I am very impressed - well done!

Beck said...

Beyond gorgeous! Are you taking orders, or teaching classes? I love that so much! Reminds me of the crib bedding I had for Charlotte. Have you considered color schemes/patterns for the nursery? Girls are such fun!!

us. said...

Love this. Seriously, beautiful.

Annie said...

Really love the bright pink! And big is so much useful later in life (even if it seems a bit oversized when she is small!)
~annie

Chanel said...

Cute quilt and very girly.